I can still remember my mom nagging me to eat breakfast every morning. I would grab something out of her hands, roll my eyes, and eat it with my "too cool for school" attitude! However, 20 years later, as a mom and a trainer, I have to admit I'm grateful that she enforced that rule!
Think about it. You've literally been fasting since the night before. If you don't "break" your "fast" by eating a meal in the morning, and instead hold out on food until lunch at noon, you're asking your body to go a long time without food! That will send your metabolism into a downward spiral, as you are literally training it to store calories for an upcoming fast. I know what you're thinking, and the excuse "I don't have time for breakfast" does not fly with me. It only takes minutes to scramble up some eggs and pop some sprouted grain toast in the toaster, make a protein smoothie, or grab some non-fat Greek yogurt and fruit. Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts:
- Microwave oatmeal and top it with a tbsp of almond butter, a sprinkle of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, and drizzle with a little 100% pure maple syrup.
- Eggs in a mug! I'm not much of a morning person so I'm usually doing the grab and go thing on the way out the door. This trick is great! Just mist a microwave-safe coffee mug with a little non-stick spray, crack in two eggs (be sure to break the yolks so they don't explode), toss in whatever veggies you have in the fridge. I like mushrooms and onions. Sprinkle with a little cheese, cover with a paper towel, and microwave it on 70% power for a few minutes. Now you've got a portable omelet.
- My other go to favorite breakfast is a smoothie. I use non-fat Greek yogurt and almond milk as a base and toss in some frozen berries for a perfectly healthy breakfast. The Greek yogurt is a great source of protein, which is key for breakfast. You can add a bit of Stevia to sweeten it up or even toss in a little dry oatmeal to add a few more carbs. The options are endless!
- Sprouted grain toast with almond butter. it's not perfect, as it's a bit low in protein, but it's a good start! The protein and fat in the nut butter will stabilize your blood sugar and keep you from becoming a ravaging fool by lunchtime!
- If you really do need the 5-second solution (and trust me, I do these days), grab a Fuel Shake (www.kimfuel.com) and an apple and you are good to go. Order Fuel online, and it literally lands on your doorstep monthly! You can also find Fuel at Bionic Body. It's packed with 30 grams of top quality protein from Whey and Casein. Not to mention, it tastes amazing!!
If you aren't hungry in the morning, a shake is great because you can sip it as you start your day. It'll boost your metabolism and prevent you from going nuts at lunch!
There are really no excuses!! Just set your alarm 5 minutes earlier and stop hitting that snooze button!! Breakfast truly is that important; make time for it!!
Here are a few breakfasts from our Fitness Specialists:
DARA- Spicy Black Bean Scramble
Free range eggs
This breakfast is quick and packed with protein! It can also be made in bulk and stored in the fridge for up to 3 days for eating on the go!
Raspberries, Currants, and Almonds (served on the side)
This breakfast has not only protein, but a healthy serving of greens!
HEATHER- Spinach and Turkey Scramble
4 Egg Whites
2 oz. Ground Turkey
1 Slice Paleo Toast
MARY CATHERINE- Oatmeal and Egg White Omelet
1/2 cup of Oatmeal with 1 tsp brown sugar
4 egg whites scrambled with Spinach
This is a great source of carbs and protein to give you energy and keep you full!
DAN- Onion and Pepper Scramble with Avocado
Free Range Eggs
Red, Green, and Yellow Bell Peppers
Tell us...what's your favorite breakfast??