Foam rollers are highly effective tools that relieve soft tissue pain and muscle pain. You use the foam roller by rolling it under each muscle group until a tender area is found, and maintaining pressure on the tender areas (known as trigger points) for 30 to 60 seconds. At first, it will hurt a bit, but it's worth it! Your muscles will feel better afterward. Over time, it will become easier, and you will look forward to the relief you get from using the foam roller. Here are just a few reasons why I LOVE my foam roller:
- It's portable. I travel with mine and find it so useful after long plane rides. I also take it to the beach along with my yoga mat so I can foam roll after playing beach volleyball.
- It releases tension in the fascia surrounding my muscles.
- It aids in recovery after tough workouts. Athletes and physical therapists use it to inhibit overactive muscles.
- It hurts so good...just like a deep tissue massage.
- I truly believe the turning point in my recovery after hip surgery was when I started foam rolling everyday...it's THAT important!
It's a reminder that after we beat up our bodies in our workouts, we need to take care of ourselves with things like foam rolling and stretching.
by Dara Mazzie