The summer is perfect for fun in the sun and relaxing with friends. With that comes backyard barbecues and time on the beach. I created this dish to satisfy your appetite while supplying your body with the energy it needs to recover and rebuild from Bionic workouts.
While the chicken breast provides lean protein to boost your metabolism, the sweet potatoes help preserve lean muscle tissue so you can show off your hard work without running out of energy. Last, the cherries offer a boost of sweetness and anti-inflammatory compounds – after all, some soreness is a good thing, body stiffness isn’t. I urge you to try this meal, since it’s quite delicious and can be made in only 20 minutes!
Grilled Chicken with cherry BBQ sauce, sweet potato bites and string beans
1 ea. Chicken breast, halved lengthwise (quickens cooking time)
1 ea. Medium Sweet potato, pierced with fork for faster cooking time
1/8 cup Barbecue sauce
1/3 cup Sweet cherries, pitted and chopped
2 tsp. Apple cider vinegar
2 Tbs. Nonfat Greek yogurt
2 Tbs. Shredded cheddar cheese, low fat
1 cup Green beans, steamed
Garlic powder, to taste
black pepper, to taste
Method of Preparation
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat. In a small saucepan, combine BBQ sauce, cherries and apple cider vinegar and set to medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper and garlic powder and cook until done, flipping once, about 5 minutes per side.
3. Microwave sweet potato for 5 minutes, split lengthwise and scoop out the flesh. Cut the potato wedges in half, so that they resemble small cups. In a sauté pan on medium heat, add potato, Greek yogurt and cheese. Mix well and heat through. Scoop potato mixture back into potato cups and set aside.
4. Steam string beans. Set aside.
5. Spoon the BBQ sauce onto the chicken breast; serve with sweet potatoes and steamed string beans. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information: (per serving with veggies)
70g Carbohydrates, 12g fiber