BAD fat is bad for you.
I eat a diet very high in fat, but I eat the healthy, natural kind that feeds my body the nutrients it needs for optimal function. Let's start with the oils & fats you need to eliminate...eliminate all trans fat, highly processed fat, hydrogenated oils, & pro-inflammatory fats from your diet ASAP! They wreak havoc on your body, causing your cells to miscommunicate on all levels. These fats/oils are very sensitive to light, air, and heat exposure, which turns them rancid and causes many modern diseases. They are especially harmful when heated!
Here is a list of pro-inflammatory oils that should be avoided at all costs:
- soy bean oil
- safflower oil
- canola oil
- sunflower oil
- vegetable oil
- peanut oil
- rapeseed oil
- grape seed oil
- palm kernel oil
- rice bran oil
- shortenings, margarines, spreads
- corn oil
- cotton oil
Now that you are aware of these harmful oils, you will start to notice that they are in EVERYTHING! It's kind of scary. Take a look in your pantry and read the ingredients of the foods you eat everyday...it will explain why so many Americans are sick!
Naturally saturated fats like the 4 listed below are NOT sensitive to heat, air, and light exposure, which means that you can cook with them and they won’t turn rancid. As a matter of fact, they are nutrient dense and essential for all cells in your body to function.
Here is a list of the ONLY saturated fats and oils that are safe to cook with:
- Lard reserved from pasture-raised, humanely-raised, grass-fed animals.
- Grass-fed butter (Kerrygold) or raw butter (Organic Pastures – order online) or grass-fed GHEE
- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Palm FRUIT Oil (not to be confused with Palm kernel oil) – it is a bright orange/pink color but great for cooking because of neutral flavor. It is solid at room temperature just like coconut oil.
Here is list of organic, cold-pressed oils that are nutrient dense and safe to drizzle on raw (like salad dressing) but should NOT be heated because they are not saturated:
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Macadamia nut oil
- Avocado oil
- Walnut oil
- Sesame Oil Flax oil