I've always been first in line for predicting the fitness trends from year to year. I'm proud to see that once again, Bionic Body is spot on with what's hot for 2016.
Keep in mind, this list is about trends, not fads. The difference being that a fad is a phenomenon that blows up quickly, lasts only for a short time, then, fades away. A trend is something that gains momentum and can create long-term impact in the way people think or behave. In other words, a trend is a "movement."
The ACSM's (American College of Sports Medicine) just released its annual "Worldwide Survey of Fitness Trends for 2016," in which nearly 3000 exercise pros predict what you'll see in fitness next year. This is one survey I spend time to chime in on each year. I thought you'd enjoy seeing what the experts have to say and how Bionic Body is on track with what's hot!
1. Wearable technology like fitness trackers, smart watches, heart-rate monitors and GPS enabled gadgets are the undisputed champs. Some industry analysts have predicted that the wearable technology market will approach $6 billion dollars by 2016. Be on the lookout for Smart glasses, smart fabrics and interactive textiles, I may be jumping the gun on these a bit, but I'm guess we'll see more of these pop up this year.
2. Body Weight Training. Body Weight Training is a back to basics, minimalist, approach to fitness. Bionic Body is 100% Human Powered! How cool is that!
3. High Intensity Interval Training (Think Tabata Classes and added Bionic Bursts) This type of workout packs a powerful punch in minimal time and involve short bursts of high intensity activity followed by short periods of rest.
4. Good ol' Strength Training (Pure Strength) is still on trend hitting the list at number 4. It's the foundation of all functional movements and it's here to stay.
5. With the growing economy, the market for fitness professionals has become more crowded and more competitive. Our Bionic Trainers are the best in South Bay and we are right on trend with number 5, the exponential growth of Educated and Experienced Fitness Professionals.
6. Personal Training ranks number 6 as more and more students are majoring in kinesiology, indicating that they have their sites set on entering the field. One on one training is incredibly valuable. We not only offer one on one training, but love that our trainers can give you the personal instruction you need in our classes.
7. Functional Fitness uses strength training to improve balance, coordination, force, power, and endurance to enhance someone's ability to perform activities they do in daily living. Amy Dixon, National Creative Manager for Group Fitness at Equinox and IDEA Fitness Instructor of Year says the next step beyond functional fitness is "loaded movement training," which includes moving the body in three dimensions and incorporates props like resistance bands, sandbags, kettlebells and dumbbells. Our Bionic Body Track fits right in!
8. Fitness Programs for Older Adults is number 8. The needs of baby boomers are high on the radar as retirees and older adults may have more discretionary moolah than younger generations. Therefore programs to keep mom and dad or grams and gramps healthy and active are on the rise.
This is exactly why we show modifications in each class at Bionic Body. If your 20 or 70 we'll make it work for you!
9. The 9th top trend in fitness goes to health and fitness professionals who provide a combination of Exercise and Weight Loss programs to help their clients shed the fluff. As we all know, you can't out train a bad diet and, 80% (give or take) of weight loss depends on what or what doesn't go in your mouth. Therefore, programs that incorporate nutrition and fitness routines make the list. Be on the lookout for our next Transformation contest, you'll receive a new grocery list and meal guidelines.
10. Rooted in ancient tradition, yoga is widely known for improving health and promoting relaxation. We love our Soul Studio and embrace the importance of nurturing your soul along with our Bionic Classes.
Group personal training (#11) not surprisingly has made the list since 2007 and is a cost-effective way for people to get some of the benefits of having a private trainer. And, is a great way to meet new people and feed off the energy of the group.
Circuit Training (#18) because there's so many ways to do it and Core Training (#19) because of course we love Abs.
A few other notable trends making it to the top 20 include Outdoor Activities #14 (Bionic Beach starts next month) and Sport-Specific training (#15).
Wellness Coaching (#13) "integrates behavioral change science into health promotion, disease prevention, and rehabilitation programs."
Also making the top 20 are Smart Phone Exercise Apps, Worksite Health Promotion, Outcome measurements (Have you had an InBody lately!) and Flexibility / Foam-Rolling which can be used for warming up, cooling down, trigger points or just a DIY deep tissue massage for cheap.