I'll never forget the first time I saw one of fellow fitness guru's toss a chunk of butter in his coffee. I was so confused! It was bout 9 years ago and long before bulletproof coffee was well known. I remember thinking why would anyone put fat in something that was fat free. Added calories, added fat, and simply gross!
He explained to me how beneficial it was and I still thought he was a bit nuts. Here I am all these years later sipping my coffee with not only butter but also coconut oil. Yep, double the fat!
You have probably heard our trainers talking about their "bulletproof" coffee. We all have or favorite little tweaks to the mix but all and all it's very similar. I like to add in a scoop of collagen as well. It blends right in and you don't taste it at all.
It's important that you use the right kind of butter in your coffee: grass-fed butter. Kerrygold unsalted brand is probably the most common that you can find in stores. But why grass-fed butter?
Most cows are corn or soy fed. It’s cheap and filling, but cows aren’t actually meant to eat that- they can’t even digest it properly- and their milk produces the kinds of fats you don’t want in your body. Grass-fed cows on the other hand commonly produce the best milk and beef, and the butter made from those cows is just as good.
Here are five reasons why you should be putting grass-fed butter in your coffee (and just using it in general from now on):
1. Only grass-fed butter has the right fats that regulate cholesterol, not add to it. Grass-fed butter has the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids (which reduces body fat) and is a good source of vitamin K, both of which according to a studies reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. It provides healthy fats for your brain and body to create cell walls (membranes) and hormones. The short-chain fatty acid Butyrate, once thought to be bad for you, has been linked to preventing neurodegenerative diseases, increased energy expenditure, and is also anti-inflammatory, further preventing heart disease.
3. Drinking it each morning puts your body in the routine to burn fat all day, helping you trim down overall. CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), found in grass-fed butter, has been shown to reduce body fat mass especially in overweight individuals.
4. “Bulletproof” coffee will give you energy as well as increase cognitive function that you can literally feel when it kicks in for about six hours- and without the crash. Mixed with more healthy fats from coconut oil, this amped up drink will help produce ketones, which are created when your body creates energy from fat rather than carbohydrates.
5. Two tablespoons of butter (or half butter, half MCT or Coconut oil) in your coffee is all you need to replace a breakfast meal altogether, making this a quick alternative for people on the go. Providing your body with essential fats and calories is a higher performance blend than a carbohydrate source like oatmeal.
When you blend it with coffee, what you get is the most pleasantly creamy drink that you can actually feel energizing your body.
Here is my favorite mix:
1 cup strong coffee
2-4 tbsp almond or coconut milk, Calfia hazelnut Better half coffee "cream", or your favorite cream replacement
1 tbsp MCT Oil (Now brand)
1 tbsp grass fed butter
1 scoops Vital Protein collagen protein (Order Here)
a dash of vanilla (optional)
and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
Blend it all together in the blender or use a milk frother with all ingredients and then pour into coffee. It's delicious and so filling. You've got healthy fats for energy and collagen protein for a metabolic boost.